Beet salad with a twist
Total Time 2 hours 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp Pot D'Huile Olive Oil
- 1.5 lbs Organic Red Beets
- 14 oz Orange Juice
- 6 Blood Orange
- 150 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 50 ml Champagne Vinegar
- 1/2 lbs Cotija Cheese
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 20 Kumquats
- 8 oz Piloncillio
- Cilantro Leaves
- 6 cloves Garlic
- Maldon Salt
- 4 oz Sweet Coconut
- Peel the beets and place them in the oven at 350 degrees with half orange juice and half water.
- Cover with foil and cook for 90 minutes, or until they become soft but still have firmness to them.
- Warm the heavy cream and stir in the cotija cheese to melt, then set a side for plating.
- Cut the kumquats in half and cook in boiling water with the piloncillo for 10 minutes.
- Juice the 150 ml blood orange and whisk in the extra virgin olive oil with crushed garlic and vinegar.
- Cut the cooked beets into wedges and leave in vinaigrette for 3 hours before serving.
- For plating, spread some of the cheese mousse on each plate and place 5–6 wedges of the marinated beets on top.
- Dress beets lightly with the vinaigrette, then sprinkle plate with the roasted coconut and a pinch of Maldon salt.
- Place the kumquats along with the beets on the plate.
- For the final touch, top the salad with 1 tablespoon of the PdH oil and enjoy.