National Oreo Day is special to us because it celebrates one of our favorite treats—the Oreo cookie. Introduced by the National Biscuit Company (now Nabisco) in 1912, this cookie wafer and vanilla cream combo has since then captured the taste buds of young and old, and has become of the most-recognized treats all over the world. Since its inception, over 450 billion Oreos have been sold in 100 countries worldwide. While we personally lean towards the classic double stuffed kind, Oreos have been translated into a variety of flavors including Birthday Cake, Fruit Punch and Pumpkin Spice.
But let’s get to the heart of the matter—what is the best way to eat an Oreo? While hotly debated, we can agree that you can’t go wrong no matter how you devour it – whether you dunk it in milk, bite through the crunchy cookie, or lick the cream filling first. But since we like our food infused, we turned to our awesome cannabis chefs to give us some alternatives to make the Oreo extra special.
This recipe below by JeffThe420Chef is the ultimate treat for the chocolate lovers out there. He combines Oreo cookies, Heath Bar and his special creamy canna-butter to make your not-so-typical stoner brownie.
Oreo Heath Bar Canna-Cookie Butter Brownies
- Cooking spray (prefer butter-flavored)
- 3 sticks grass-fed butter, melted
- 1 stick JeffThe420Chef creamy canna-butter, melted
- 3 cups raw cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coffee
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 24 Oreo cookies
- ½ cup roasted and glazed pecans, crushed
- 1 cup Speculoos cookie butter
- 1½ cup melting chocolate—2 colors (1 cup for base color and ½ cup for deco-drizzle)
- Paramount Crystals (you can get these at Michaels or online. They help make a smoother melted chocolate)
- 4 Heath Bars or similar, crumbled into pieces
- Preheat oven to 340ºF. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch brownie pan.
- Separate Oreos and place the half without the cream on bottom of the brownie pan (you can create 12 double-stuffed Oreos with the cream halves to enjoy later).
- Combine the melted butter, melted canna-butter, sugar, vanilla and coffee in a large bowl. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each, until thoroughly blended.
- Using a flour sifter, sift the flour, cocoa powder, and salt into a separate bowl. (It’s important to actually sift these ingredients instead of just tossing them together in a bowl.)
- Gradually stir the dry mixture into the butter mixture until blended. Add the chocolate chips and pecans. Spread the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan on top of the Oreo halves. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of one or two of the middle brownies comes out clean. Remove and cool the pan on a wire rack before releasing the brownies.
- Cut into 24 equal pieces. Spread a layer of Speculoos cookie butter on top of each brownie and refrigerate uncovered for 30 minutes.
- In a medium Pyrex bowl, melt the chocolate for your base color with a pinch of Paramount Crystals for 20 seconds in the microwave. Stir well. Microwave again for 10 seconds. Stir briskly until smooth and creamy.
- Insert a small fork into the side or bottom of a brownie. Dip the brownie in the chocolate, and use a small spatula to ensure that it’s evenly coated. Set the coated brownie on parchment paper. Repeat this process with the remaining brownies.
- Sprinkle Heath Bar crumbles on the brownies while the chocolate is still warm.
- In a clean bowl, melt the chocolate for your decorative color with a pinch of Paramount Crystals for 20 seconds in the microwave. Stir well. Microwave again for 10 seconds. Stir briskly until smooth and creamy. Swizzle melted decorative chocolate over brownies and voilà!.
*Approximate dose per serving is based on infusing 5 grams of cured/dried/decarbed cannabis into 1⅓ sticks of butter.
Number of servings: 24
Preparation time: 15 minutes plus 45 minutes for frosting
Cooking time: 35 to 40 minutes
Idle time: 30 minutes
Approximate THC per Serving*
10%: 3.8 milligrams
15%: 5.6 milligrams
20%: 7.7 milligrams