Winter Recipe: The Potzo Ball Soup
As the temps dip into the single digits, there is nothing more satisfying than a hearty soup to keep you warm and snuggly from head to toe. This recipe by JeffThe420Chef is guaranteed to do just that. Warm broth and medicated matzo balls…hmmm…this is not your Jewish mama’s recipe. Now let me get my balls and tuck myself to bed. SHALOM AND GOOD NIGHT!
Potzo Ball Soup by Jeff the 420 Chef
For the broth:
10 cups water
1 whole chicken, cut into eighths
1 beef bone (optional, for a heartier soup)
1 cup carrots, in rounds (reserve. cup)
1 cup celery, sliced (reserve. cup)
1 celery root, whole or halved to fit in pot
1 cup parsnip, cubed (reserve. cup)
1 cup turnip, in rounds (reserve . cup)
1 medium Spanish onion, diced
4 sprigs fresh dill (reserve 1 sprig)
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons black peppercorns
3 to 5 whole cloves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Potzo Balls
1 cup matzo meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
Salt and pepper
1 tablespoon canna–olive oil plus 3 tablespoons light olive oil
4 tablespoons seltzer or soda water
- Fill a large soup pot with 10 cups of water.
- Place the chicken, beef bone (if using), carrots, celery, celery root, parsnip, turnip, onion, and dill in a soup sock or wrap and tie in cheesecloth. Add bay leaf, turmeric, peppercorns, cloves, and salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Remove the vegetables and discard.
To make the Potzo Balls:
- In a medium bowl, mix together the matzo meal, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, canna–olive oil mixture, and soda water.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Using an ice cream scoop for uniformity, drop matzo balls into the simmering soup. Add the reserved vegetables, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Shred the chicken and place it into serving bowls. Add the broth and potzo balls and serve immediately.
APPROXIMATE THC PER SERVING*:10%: 3.8 mg / 15%: 5.7 mg / 20%: 7.6 mg
*Approximate dose per serving is based on infusing 5 grams of cured/dried/decarbed cannabis into 5 ounces of oil.
Refer to THC/CBD CALCULATOR for determining approximate dosage of your cannabis.